Sunday, May 24, 2009

Radmobile





Taken from The Source:

  • In the 1992 comedy Encino Man, Brendan Fraser's character Link loves to play Rad Mobile, so much so that when he takes a road test he speeds and drives wildly.


Thus "Rad Mobile" has for me turned into the adjective "radmobile," which I reserve for things with a radness so great that they are worthy of being described as "national treasures." The spoken word into to the version of "The River" on Springsteen's Live 1975-1985 album is radmobile. The U.S. hockey team winning in Lake Placid is radmobile. "90,000 Tons of Diplomacy" Nimitz-class carriers undergoing sea trials is radmobile (see image above.)



And then I found an anonymous Yahoo Answers post about a kid whose boarding school banned a whole bunch of books, and in response, started running a wildcat library out of his
dorm room (hat tip to Metafilter.)


Now this tugs at the heartstrings in a lot of ways; I love resourcefullness like this, I love intentiveness, I love defiance, and I love that this at least sort of reminds me of the film Toy Soldiers. But most of all, I love George Orwell. I re-read "Politics and the English Language" weekly. If you ban the works of George Orwell, the universe will conspire to place under your care the most clever and morally outraged student since Val Kilmer in Real Genius. And he will fuck your shit up.



Because George Orwell is the definition of radmobile.

No comments: